echo ''."\n";
4
| News |

Phoenix Could Get More Rain Due to Remnants of Another Hurricane

^
Keep New Times Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Phoenix and help keep the future of New Times free.

The remnants of two hurricanes caused extremely rainy days and flooding around Phoenix last month, and the remnants of a third storm are headed this way.

However, at this point, the National Weather Service's forecasts indicate that Simon, the current tropical storm in the Pacific, won't bring the intense rain and flooding to Phoenix that the storms Norbert and Odile did.

"I certainly don't think it'll be anything like we saw on September 8," NWS meteorologist Keith Kincaid tells New Times.

See also: -September 8: Storm Causes Power Outages, Traffic Nightmares -September 27: Another Round of Storms Cause More Damage

Of course, there was record rainfall in Phoenix that day, which caused widespread flooding issues around the Valley.

The National Weather Service is forecasting about half an inch of rain in Phoenix. Kincaid says there's a 30 percent chance of rain tomorrow night, a 40 percent chance on Wednesday, and a 30 percent chance on Thursday.

"These things are tricky," Kindcaid says. "[If] the path changes, that'll affect the forecast areas of precipitation, but this is our current thinking right now."

Even with the current forecast, this rainfall -- which is expected to be accompanied by thunderstorms -- could still cause flooding issues in certain areas around Phoenix.

If it's any consolation, the monsoon season has passed. According to a summary from the NWS, this monsoon season was "warmer and significantly wetter than average for the state of Arizona."

The monsoon highlights included a massive dust storm on July 3, microbursts in Chandler on July 8 and 9 and in Phoenix on July 26, plus thunderstorms around Phoenix on August 3, August 12, and August 19. In September, there were the two major storms -- the first on September 8, and a more mild one on September 27.

Got a tip? Send it to: Matthew Hendley.

Follow Valley Fever on Twitter at @ValleyFeverPHX. Follow Matthew Hendley at @MatthewHendley.

Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.

 

Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.