From time to time, Jackalope Ranch contributors will provide a visual guide to every day and extraordinary situations ... and Claire Lawton will illustrate them. This week: author Laurie Notaro answers a very important question: Am I a Book Snob?
Welcome to Charted Territory.
Laurie Notaro's Summer Reading List for Book Snobs AND Book Assholes:
5. Put down 50 Shades of Bullshit. Seriously. There is nothing as cool as rediscovering an old book and there's nothing as stupid as reading the same one five other people at Lux are.
Depart the herd. The other 49 just ran into a ravine, anyway, where The Hunger Games Herd is now decomposing. Maud Martha by Gwendolyn Brooks (If you read The Help, you are obligated to read this. First African-American woman to win the Pulitzer.)
4. Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis (Hilarious. I shit thee not.)
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
3. Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford (Hilarious 2. Dry, funny, will make you want to name your house.)
2. Nightingale Wood by Stella Gibbons (Hilarious 3. Goofy Cinderella story with schizophrenic drunk hermits. You cannot resist.)
1. Zelda by Nancy Milford (not the same as Nancy MiTford. Juicy, insane, fiery book of awesome. Read it before The Great Gatsby comes out. YES.)