From time to time, Jackalope Ranch contributors will provide a visual guide to every day and extraordinary situations ... and Claire Lawton will illustrate them. This week: author Laurie Notaro answers a very important question: Am I a Book Snob?
Welcome to Charted Territory.
Laurie Notaro's Summer Reading List for Book Snobs AND Book Assholes:
5. Put down 50 Shades of Bullshit. Seriously. There is nothing as cool as rediscovering an old book and there's nothing as stupid as reading the same one five other people at Lux are.
Depart the herd. The other 49 just ran into a ravine, anyway, where The Hunger Games Herd is now decomposing. Maud Martha by Gwendolyn Brooks (If you read The Help, you are obligated to read this. First African-American woman to win the Pulitzer.)
4. Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis (Hilarious. I shit thee not.)
3. Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford (Hilarious 2. Dry, funny, will make you want to name your house.)
2. Nightingale Wood by Stella Gibbons (Hilarious 3. Goofy Cinderella story with schizophrenic drunk hermits. You cannot resist.)
1. Zelda by Nancy Milford (not the same as Nancy MiTford. Juicy, insane, fiery book of awesome. Read it before The Great Gatsby comes out. YES.)
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.