Today: Casey Hopkins-Johnson of Welcome Chicken + Donuts
If you've ever enjoyed a doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts in Phoenix, then you ought to thank baker Casey Hopkins-Johnson for the experience. Since the restaurant opened about a year ago, she's been responsible for stocking the case with dozens of types of doughnuts every day, including interesting flavors such as key lime and pumpkin spice cheesecake. It's an impressive feat when you consider that she'd never made a doughnut until she started research and development for the restaurant. Before joining the Welcome team, she worked at Jobot, at an organic CSA, and at the now-defunct Downtown Phoenix Public Market.
Meet the other Pie Social celebrity chefs:
- Virginia Senior of Urban Beans
- Adam Allison of SuperTruck
- LaDawn Driscoll of Liberty Market
- Audrey Enriquez of Sheraton Wild Horse Pass
- Garrett Verhage of Grassroots Kitchen and Tap