| November 2, 2011 | 1:00pm
Support the independent voice of Phoenix and help keep the future of New Times free.
Well, you're in good company, friend, because neither do we.
We decided we couldn't be the only ones drowning in a sea of pumpkin, searching for an escape form the ordinary. After all, this is the pie event of the year (mostly by default since it's kind of the only one) and we need something spectacular, maybe even mind-blowing (insert exploding noise and hand gesture here).
So we set out on a quest to find seven pies that had the potential to bring us out of our pie funk and get us in the kitchen baking.
7. S'Mores Pie
6. Vegan Pot Pie
-- We're going to get this one out of the way first. Yes, S'Mores is the new whatever, but a S'Mores pie sounds awesome and could be a gem among all the pumpkin and apple. Plus, chocolate doesn't really count as dairy, right?
-- We were a little bummed at the lack of many savory pies last year, but without the use of meat or dairy, we have been having a hard time coming up with a savory recipe. Vegan Pot Pies might be the solution. (We would make them in mini muffin tins, you can totally steal our idea!)
5. Triple Threat Pie
- Because three pies are always better then one. This is for all of you out there that just can't decide. Apple, pumpkin and pecans decided to co-mingle in this not-so-pretty-but-probably-really-delicious pie.
4. Fancy Pie Cut-Outs
- Sticking with the norm is fine, but we're at least going to have to dress it up a little. Leaving it to Martha and her team to come up with some super cute idea. We're pretty partial to the honeycomb idea. This is a handy link for lots of other pie tip: bookmark it.
3. Chocolate Pear Pie
- Add a little cocoa to the crust and you have a totally different pie on your hands. This would probably work for pumpkin or apple, too.
2. Mini Lemon Tarts
- The poor little lemon is always left out, someone should show her some love at this year's Pie Social -- preferably in the form of tiny tarts.
1. Mini Kiss Pies
- The easiest and possibly the cutest of the bunch are these tiny bite sized morsels. Just cut out pie crust circles, add a Hersey Kiss and a few sprinkles and bake. It doesn't get any easier then that! We'd also like to see them made with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.Yum!
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.