From now until we publish the 2016 edition of Best of Phoenix, New Times is naming 100 Tastemakers — members of our local culinary community who help shape the way we eat, drink, and think about food in Phoenix. Some you'll know, and for others, it'll be a first introduction, but each person on our list deserves a nod for helping make our city so delicious. Oh, and while you're here, be sure to check out our list of 100 Creatives.
28. Michelle Jacoby and Mark Lipczynski of Bite Magazine
As the duo behind Bite Magazine, Michelle Jacoby and Mark Lipczyski might just be one of the most creative husband-and-wife teams we know.
Before setting out on her own, Jacoby spent more than a decade as a writer and editor at the Arizona Republic, then went on to consult on several trade and lifestyle publications, winning several national awards for her work. Meanwhile, Lipczyski, who also comes from a newspaper background, is a photographer extraordinaire, traveling all over Arizona capturing images of food, people, and culture. His work has been featured in Food & Wine, Phoenix Magazine, and Arizona Highways.
Together, the couple produces Bite Magazine, a local food and travel website with a sleek aesthetic and visually stunning storytelling. From stories about Hawaiian vacations to short films starring some of the state's best chefs, the online magazine offers a unique perspective on Arizona food and drink and the people behind it.
Today, Jacoby and Lipczyski dish on their go-to place for doughnuts and the biggest lesson they've learned since launching their own magazine.
Our go-to place for doughnuts in Phoenix is BoSa Donuts. Two words: 24-hour drive-thru.
The best-kept secret in Arizona is Coppa Café in Flagstaff. Chef-owner Brian Konefal’s approach to and passion for food is inspiring. We recently shot a short film with Andrew Gooi of Food Talkies of Brian and his sous chef Matt Dulin foraging in a forest near Flagstaff. They handled the ingredients thoughtfully and with care, showing their respect for not only nature, but also of the food Brian prepared. It was pretty amazing to watch.
The biggest lesson we’ve learned since starting Bite Magazine is that Arizona is on the verge of becoming a great food destination … it just doesn’t know it yet. There are a handful of chefs and food innovators — baristas, mixologists, brewers, purveyors — putting it all out there, taking risks and doing things we aren’t seeing anywhere else. We need more of this.
We’ve also learned that Arizona’s local business community is amazingly supportive and collaborative. It’s refreshing to see small businesses and restaurants working together, using each other’s products, partnering on events, and promoting each other’s businesses. Thanks to groups like Local First Arizona, Phoenix Flea and collaborative spaces like The Newton, Desoto Central Market, and Palette Collective, local businesses are given more opportunities to collaborate. We definitely need more of this.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Phoenix could use more independently owned coffee shops and less chains.
Our three essential Phoenix restaurants are ... Hmm, just three? Well, since there are two of us, we’re going to take full advantage and give you three each. Michelle’s are La Piazza PHX, Hana Japanese Eatery, and Gadzooks Enchiladas. Mark’s go-tos are Noble Eatery, Ocotillo, and FnB. Topped off by a midnight drive-thru run to BoSa, of course.
The 2016 Tastemakers so far:
100. Aaron Chamberlin of St. Francis and Phoenix Public Market Cafe
99. Ross Simon of Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
98. Debby Wolvos of DW Photography
97. Anibal and Salem Beyene of Café Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant
96. Bo Mostow of Uptown Farmers Market
95. Julian Wright of Pedal Haus Brewery
94. Stephen Jones of The Larder + The Delta
93. Eric Glomski of Page Spring Cellars
92. Richard Bock of Giuseppe's on 28th
91. Walter Sterling of Ocotillo
90. Daniel Sevilla of Angry Crab Shack
89. Doug Robson of Gallo Blanco and Otro Cafe
88. LaDawn Driscoll of Liberty Market
87. Jason Calhoon of The Shop Beer Co. and Side Kick Cold Brew
86. Tim and Kim Cobb of United Lunchadores Street Gourmet
85. Micah Olson of Bar Crudo and Okra Cookhouse and Cocktails
84. Paola Embry of Christopher's + Crush and The Wrigley Mansion
83. Jared Porter of The Clever Koi
82. Diane Corieri of Evening Entertainment Group
81. Erich Schultz of Steadfast Farm
80. Jeff and Leah Huss of Huss Brewing Company
79. Aaron Pool of Gadzooks Enchiladas and Soup
78. Diana Santospago of The Maine Lobster Lady food truck
77. Gio Osso of Virtu Honest Craft and Nico Heirloom Kitchen
76. Lauren Bailey of Upward Projects
75. Rodney Hu of Arizona Distilling Company and Yucca Tap Room
74. Jacob Cutino of Homeboy's Hot Sauce
73. Country and Sergio Velador of Super Chunk Sweets and Treats
72. Dean Thomas of Cornish Pasty Co.
71. Jennifer Caraway of The Joy Bus
70. Scott Holmes of Little Miss BBQ
69. Jared Allen of Proof Artisan Breads
68. Steve McFate of McFate Brewing Company
67. Mel Mecinas of Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
66. Jessa and Dan Koppenhofer of Gilbert Farmers Market
65. Todd and Kelly Bostock of Dos Cabezas WineWorks
64. Ryan Probst of Odelay Bagel Co.
63. Diana Brandt of AZFoodie
62. Benjamin Butler of Hayden Flour Mills
61. Jim and Maureen Elitzak of Zak's Chocolate
60. Michael Babcock of Welcome Diner and Welcome Chicken + Donuts
59. Nick Ambeliotis of Mediterra Bakehouse
58. Peter Kasperski of Cowboy Ciao and Kazimierz World Wine Bar
57. Kimber Stonehouse of LGO Hospitality
56. David Tyda of EATERAZ and Arizona Taco Festival
55. Pavle Milic of FnB
54. Pat Christofolo of Santa Barbara Catering Company and The Farm at South Mountain
53. Brandon Casey of The Ostrich
52. Jonathan Buford of Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co.
51. Sasha Raj of 24 Carrots
50. Rob Fullmer of Arizona Craft Brewers Guild
49. Bill and Lillian Buitenhuys of AZ Bitters Lab
48. Ramona Button of Ramona Farms
47. Justin Piazza of La Piazza Al Forno and La Piazza PHX
46. Andrew Gooi of Food Talkies
45. Jason Raducha of Noble Bread and Noble Eatery
44. Ty Largo of Awe Collective
43. Christopher Gross of Christopher's and Crush Lounge
42. Heidi Lee of Into The Soup
41. ET Rivera of Tres Leches Cafe
40. Monika Woolsey of Hip Veggies
39. Bobby Kramer of The Brickyard
38. Jenna Reeves of Press Coffee Roasters
37. Sarah Chisholm of Phoenix Public Market Cafe
36. Bill Kennedy of Futuro
35. Jan Bracamonte of J. Lauren PR & Marketing
34. Erin Romanoff of the uprooted kitchen
33. Baker Mandy Bublitz
32. Tony Chanthavong of Snoh Ice Shavery
31. Donald Hawk of Welcome Chicken + Donuts
30. Krystal Bittner of Arizona Society of Homebrewers
29. Garrison Whiting of Counter Intuitive and Cowboy Ciao