100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Pollo Guisado at FrinGo's Kitchen
This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
75. Pollo Guisado at FrinGo's Kitchen
Whether you're experienced with Puerto Rican food or wouldn't know tostones from pastelillos, FrinGo's Kitchen in Chandler is a sure bet for a satisfying meal. The family-owned and operated restaurant opened earlier this year and serves authentic, homestyle Puerto Rican fare. It's a casual place with just a handful of tables and a bright mural decorating one of the walls; diners order at a counter at the back of the room and then take a seat until the food is delivered.
You'll want to start with an order of tostones, or deep fried plantains. And ask for a side of mojo de ajo, or oil with sweet roasted garlic, for dipping, as well as some ketchup-mayonnaise. For an entree my favorite choice is the pollo guisado, a stew of braised chicken with tender potatoes. The rich blend of spices that coats pieces of bone-in chicken makes this a heavier dish, but one that's sure to stand out in your memory. Balance the savory stew with a Goya Cola Champagne, a pale golden soda that mixes orange flavor with the silky texture of cream soda.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
78. Falafel Sandwich at Al Hana Restaurant
77. Sheng Jian Bao at DingHao Shanghai
76. Baked Vegetable Pesto at Oven + Vine
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.