Jimmie Dale Gilmore (a.k.a. Smokey from The Big Lebowski) Performs Live and More from SXSW
Jimmie Dale's SXSW Showcase at the Driskell Hotel.
Smokey from The Big Lebowski is no longer on the bowling team...
More From Austin:
- It was a quiet day for local bands as most Phoenix acts laid low -- with the exception of Kinch, who played a Speed Set at the convention center. It was so speedy that it was over before I could get down to see it. Reports were good, however.
- Ted Leo -- with no help from The Pharmacists -- was pretty impressive at Swan Dive. Still, watching a solo show where a guys plays punk songs on an electric guitar is a little weird.
- I caught about half of Smith Westerns set at Stubb's. They're pretty polished considering how green they are -- singer Cullen Omori even had a theatrical little Triple H style water spit thing -- but far from likable. They came across as being pretty pompous. NPR was filming the whole thing -- they had about a dozen staffers on hand in cutesy little t-shirts, most of whom seemed to be free to play Angry Birds on their laptops with the help of our tax dollars and tax laws-- so feel free to check it out yourself and disagree. Seriously, though, it was cool of NPR to shoot the show -- and it helps keep those guys busy so they won't "break" any like the death of Gabby Giffords.
- Lone Star Beer is not great. Pearl is a little better. Luve Oak Brewing does not have a brewpub -- which I discovered after a looooooong walk.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More Music News
- Muse Bassist: Twilight Movies Paved Way for Band's Stateside Success
Fri., Dec. 4, 8:00pm
Sat., Dec. 5, 8:00pm
Sun., Dec. 6, 3:00pm
Sun., Dec. 6, 7:30pm
- 9 Best Concerts in Phoenix This Week
- The 10 Best Phoenix Bands Under the Age of 21 in 2015