100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Aloo Paratha at Tahoora Grill
This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
74. Aloo Paratha at Tahoora Grill
Aloo paratha might be one of India and Pakistan's most popular breakfast dishes, but I'd happily enjoy this treat at any time of day. It's not particularly hard to find in the Valley, but one of the best places in town to enjoy it might be at Tahoora Grill in central Phoenix. This no-frills restaurant can be found on 40th Street just north of McDowell. It's been around for a while — under a different name at one point — but you'll most likely remember it as the restaurant that's attached to Zam Zam World Foods, a small Indian and Pakistani market.
The aloo paratha is basically a large flatbread that's stuffed with spiced potatoes and then cooked to a perfect crisp. The combination of starchy and spicy potatoes with the greasy flatbread makes for an addicting little dish, and one that's perfectly balanced by a side dish of cilantro chutney. When it's hot out of the oven the contrast of temperatures makes the dish all the better. Though it's supposed to be a starter dish, I find it extremely hard to share — particularly since the it still tastes just as good the next day after being re-heated in a toaster oven.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
78. Falafel Sandwich at Al Hana Restaurant
77. Sheng Jian Bao at DingHao Shanghai
76. Baked Vegetable Pesto at Oven + Vine
75. Pollo Guisado at FrinGo's Kitchen
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.