Don Bluth Front Row Theatre in Scottsdale Needs $50,000 to Stay Open

Keep New Times Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Phoenix and help keep the future of New Times free.

Don Bluth Front Row Theatre of Scottsdale needs to raise $50,000 by the end of August 2016 to continue operations, the company announced via press release on Wednesday, June 29. The news follows Arizona Theatre Company’s announcement on Monday, June 27, that it needs to raise $2 million to stay afloat.

Don Bluth Front Row Theatre was founded in the mid-1990s by film animation professional Don Bluth, whose credits include several Disney films, as well as The Secret of NIMH, An American Tail, and The Land Before Time.

At first, Bluth simply offered his home as a place for local youth to perform, says Curtis Watson, a producer with the company. But adults also wanted to get into the act, and Bluth ended up presenting several seasons of performance in his Scottsdale home – until securing another venue in 2012, which is when he incorporated Don Bluth Front Row Theatre.

The theater company typically presents 10 productions each year, with a budget of about $150,000 to $200,000, Watson says. He’s part of the four-person team that handles all the creative and administrative tasks for the company. Also on the team are Bluth, Roger McKay, and Cheryl Shaar.

Ticket sales account for about 40 percent of their revenue, Watson says. The remaining 60 percent comes from donations, although the company recently hired a grant-writer hoping to add that funding stream into the mix. Recently, a major donor moved out of the area, he says. And donors who have given time and time again can’t be expected to do so forever.

Hoping to increase future ticket sales, the company took a calculated risk earlier this year – creating something called the 500 Club, which basically let people buy tickets for eight remaining 2016 shows for a total of $96. Normally general admission tickets are $25 per show. Watson says the company figured it would encourage more people to attend their productions – and that those patrons would then decide to buy tickets for their 2017 shows.

But the strategy raised didn’t result in enough ticket sales to keep the theater solvent for more than another four or five months, Watson says. So now Don Bluth Front Row Theatre is faced with the prospect of closing if it can’t raise $50,000 to cover 2017 production costumes, sound, lighting, and royalties – which Watson says can run as much as $5,000 for musicals. 

“This is our last-ditch effort,” Watson says.

Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.


Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.