79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
French-trained pastry chef Eugenia Theodospoulos may be most famous in this town for her Parisian croissants, but if you ask me, the best thing you can get from the pastry case at either of her bakeries is a macaron. I've even gone so far as to buy a dozen on my way out of town only to transport them with the upmost care, via plane, out of state.
These miniature French pastries come in a rainbow of colors and flavors including the dusty pink Raspberry Rose, amber-colored Caramel Cream, and nearly-neon green Key Lime. Each one offers a delicate shell that encases flavored cream, making these sugary little sandwiches a perfectly-proportioned snack or dessert.
All the flavors are good, but my favorite is Essence's Pumpkin Spice macaron. In a world where pumpkin spice has been so bastardized and abused, Theodospoulos offers a product that's true to the spirit of the flavor. Each bite transports me back to cooler weather and autumnal bliss, which is no small feat in the heat of an Arizona summer. And best of all this Pumpkin Spice errs neither on the side of too sweet nor too "spice"-y.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
Follow Chow Bella on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.