Hey, procrastinator! Yes, you. Christmas is less than a week away and somehow you've managed to avoid finalizing the holiday feast.
We can't blame you for getting a little behind. Who has time to do things like shop or cook or eat when you're so busy working (or checking e-mail for the thousandth time just to make sure you didn't miss something important in-between all those Facebook updates)?
Lucky for you, we planned ahead and came up with these FIVE brilliant last-minute holiday carryout meals that will save your booty -- and your Christmas feast.
1. Holiday Desserts from the Arizona Grand - There are only two days left to order one of Executive Pastry Chef George Rugel's classic sweets in time for the holidays, so get on it! Options include apple and pumpkin pies ($18), Brandied Cherry Yule Log ($20), Whiskey-Pecan Torte ($19) and a Gluten-free Flourless Chocolate Torte ($24) for that one relative who can't stop yammering about her endless food allergies. Email email@example.com or call 602-431-6555 to order through December 22.
2. Meats from Pork on a Fork - If you're hungry for Midwestern-raised meats, Nebraska natives Wes Hansen and Justin Erickson have what you're looking for. Pop by the Town & Country Farmers' Market, 2025 E. Camelback Rd. in Phoenix, at 10 a.m. this Wednesday, December 22 for natural alternatives to ham-in-a-can including smoked pork shoulder, ham steaks and pork roast. Pork on a Fork will also be at the Carefree and Fountain Hills markets this week.
3. Chef-Prepared Holiday Dinners at AJ's Fine Foods - Score one of six gourmet meals from Valley AJ's grocery stores and you won't have to lift a finger except to pull the re-warmed dishes out of your oven. Full dinner packages serve 6-8 people and come with rack of lamb, ham, turkey, pork crown roast or beef, plus sides and dessert. Cost is $130-220. Stand alone meats are also available. Order by December 21 at any AJ's store.
4. Holiday Tamales on the Run - As one friend recently pointed out, tamale making is a laborious process that's only fun if you're with friends -- and drinking A LOT. Let the folks at El Bravo at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport do it for you. They've got chicken, green corn and beef varieties for $29.99 per dozen and a holiday red bean tamale you can taste for $4.49 or buy by the dozen.
The best part? Since they're at the airport, you can grab a dozen before jetting off to see your fam and no one will know you didn't make 'em yourself! (Tip: If you don't want to brave the airport, Valle Luna locations and La Perla in Glendale also offer holiday tamale packages.)
5. Flancer's Christmas Dinner - Flancer's Café in Mesa/Gilbert is offering a full takeout holiday dinner of clove-studded ham, Italian sausage stuffing, scalloped potatoes with green chile, veggies and dessert. At $24 per person it's cheaper than a resort buffet, and it's a heck of a lot tastier than Denny's. Pickup before 4 p.m. on Christmas Eve.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.