100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Otro Cortado Salad at Otro Cafe
The combination of textures in this salad is on point.
This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
72. Otro Cortado Salad at Otro Cafe
Eating your greens isn't always easy, but when it comes to the Otro Cortado Salad, I'm more than happy to have a large dose of veggies. I first fell in love with this salad at the now-defunct Gallo Blanco (RIP), and though I'll probably never get over the loss of that well-loved restaurant, I can at least take comfort in the fact that some of my favorite Gallo dishes live on at Doug Robson's Otro Cafe.
Casual and contemporary, Otro Cafe combines Mexican flavors with an elevated sensibility, and here you'll find familiar dishes done well and at an affordable price point. You could go for a meaty torta, spicy red chilaquiles, or a shareably sized platter of paella — but if you're looking to keep things light, try this salad.
The Otro Cortado Salad combines kale, cabbage, and arugula with corn nuts, crunchy peas, tomato, egg, and shredded cheddar cheese to make a perfect medley of textures. In every bite you'll find the crisp cabbage contrasted with slices of hard boiled egg and tomato. And I'm not sure why more restaurants don't sub boring old croutons for the crunch of corn nuts. The creamy vinaigrette is the final touch on an already successful dish, and with a whisper of black pepper on top this salad becomes nearly impossible to resist.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
78. Falafel Sandwich at Al Hana Restaurant
77. Sheng Jian Bao at DingHao Shanghai
76. Baked Vegetable Pesto at Oven + Vine
75. Pollo Guisado at FrinGo's Kitchen
74. Aloo Paratha at Tahoora Grill
73. Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry at Cowboy Ciao
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.