From now until we publish the 2016 edition of Best of Phoenix, New Times is naming 100 Tastemakers — members of our local culinary community who help shape the way we eat, drink, and think about food in Phoenix. Some you'll know, and for others, it'll be a first introduction, but each person on our list deserves a nod for helping make our city so delicious. Oh, and while you're here, be sure to check out our list of 100 Creatives.
Today, the woman behind some of Scottsdale's coolest party spots.
82. Diane Corieri of Evening Entertainment Group
When it comes to food and beverage empires in metro Phoenix, few can rival that of Diane and Les Corieri, the husband-and-wife owners of Evening Entertainment Group. You can thank the couple's company for just about every hip place to see and be seen in Old Town Scottsdale including Bottled Blonde, The Bevvy, Hi Fi Kitchen and Cocktails, The Mint, Sandbar, and RnR. Sure, these spots are known just as much for serving up loud music and a party-friendly atmosphere as they are for the food and drink — but just about every Old Town party-goer has indulged in a meal at one of the Corieris' concepts.
Originally from Des Moines, Iowa, Diane Corieri transplanted to the Valley in the late '80s. While working to build EEG into the success it is today, she raised her family and considers her children her greatest accomplishment.
"I feel lucky to have the jobs that I do," Corieri says. "No two days are alike. When I wake up, my first question is what am I going to accomplish today and will it make a difference."
My go-to place for yoga and meditation in Phoenix is Modify in Old Town Scottsdale.
The best kept secret in Phoenix is that RnR gastropub has great food!
The worst trend I've seen was American Apparel disco shorts — I detest them! — but my favorite trend right now is craft cocktails. They are like a lost art that is coming back.
The three keys to staying cool are 1. Cold beverages, 2. My air at 68 at night, and 3. I will go to a movie or the mall. They are always cool.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
My favorite place to getaway in Phoenix is The Royal Palms. I feel like I’m somewhere else.
The 2016 Tastemakers so far:
100. Aaron Chamberlin of St. Francis and Phoenix Public Market Cafe
99. Ross Simon of Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
98. Debby Wolvos of DW Photography
97. Anibal and Salem Beyene of Café Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant
96. Bo Mostow of Uptown Farmers Market
95. Julian Wright of Pedal Haus Brewery
94. Stephen Jones of The Larder + The Delta
93. Eric Glomski of Page Spring Cellars
92. Richard Bock of Giuseppe's on 28th
91. Walter Sterling of Ocotillo
90. Daniel Sevilla of Angry Crab Shack
89. Doug Robson of Gallo Blanco and Otro Cafe
88. LaDawn Driscoll of Liberty Market
87. Jason Calhoon of The Shop Beer Co. and Side Kick Cold Brew
86. Tim and Kim Cobb of United Lunchadores Street Gourmet
85. Micah Olson of Bar Crudo and Okra Cookhouse and Cocktails
84. Paola Embry of Christopher's + Crush and The Wrigley Mansion
83. Jared Porter of The Clever Koi