The Happy Hippie boutique has only been in business for a year, but the store's chill vibe, and friendly staff makes it a standout in downtown Glendale. Tons of accessories and clothes line walls, shelves and racks, making this boutique a promising destination on any holiday shopping scavenger hunt (especially if you have a couple hipster, er, hippie friends).
We stopped by the boutique and took a few notes (and maybe made a few purchases). Check out what we'd take, what we'd leave and why we'd go back after the jump...
Things we're taking home:
1. Mohawk hat Stay warm and look cool with this $18 winter hat.
2. Flower hair clips These handmade hair range in color and each flower has a different centerpiece. Add flair to your hair with these $10 accessories.
3. Soy candles Fact: You can never have too many candles. These soy candles come in a variety of scents and burn for 15 to 18 hours. Some of the scents have funny names -- Tighty Whities, Smelly Cat, Manly Man -- but don't worry, they don't actually smell like those things. Pick them up for $3 a piece or buy five and get one free.
4. Friendship bracelets Show your friends how much of a friend you are with a friendship bracelet. The bracelets are $3 each or $5 for a pair.
5. Wallets and coin purses Take care of your money by storing it in a cute wallet or coin purse. These money holders range from $7 to $15.
Things on our wish list:
1. Framed photos of famous people Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Jimmy Hendrix and Bob Marley are all over the store ... in framed photos. Add pizazz to your walls with these framed figures for $35 to $60.
2. Lepoo jewelry Handmade rings, bracelets, necklaces, and earrings constructed from vintage silverware, keyboard keys, dominos and other recycled items. Jewelry ranges in price from $15 to $50. Added Bonus: Lepoo is a Phoenix-based company.
3. Leather bracelets These bracelets are braided, branded and even beaded. They range in size and color. Plus, they're unisex. Purchase these bands for $15 to $30.
4. Beaded belts These funky $20 belts with beading and wood detailing are sure to add some style to simple outfits.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
We'll pass on...
Tote bags. We have to admit that these $10 tote bags aren't that bad looking, but they're one of the only things we wouldn't take home from the store. They're a bit too bright and juvenile for our taste.
One reason to go back...
The boutique carries new and resale clothing and shoes. They update their clothing racks approximately every week, so you're bound to find something different every time you visit.
Happy Hippie is located at 5748 W. Glendale Avenue in Glendale. Visit the store Tuesday - Thursday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.. Happy Hippie will be open early on Black Friday. Shop the store from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m., and get 30% off all items in the store. For more information, visit the store website.