This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
Chef Aaron Chamberlin's local and seasonally-focused Phoenix Public Market Cafe may not be known for its fried chicken — but it should be. Because this "market fresh" restaurant does deep-fried pieces of chicken meat quite well. In fact, the downtown hangout is one of our favorite places in the Valley for a plate of fried chicken, right up there with restaurants that have made a name for themselves based on their version of the dish.
The fried chicken entree at Phoenix Public Market Cafe is only available after 5 p.m., but it's worth waiting for; the dish includes three pieces of succulent fried chicken encased in a light, but crunchy batter. The batter is key. There's just the right amount of salt and other spices in the mix, which ensures you'll be scooping up the crunchy bits that fall off the chicken as you eat.
Since this is a vegetable-friendly restaurant, the meal also includes sides of garlic mashed potatoes and mixed greens. While some chefs might treat their sides as an afterthought, Chamberlin treats these veggies with just as much care as the dish's main component. You'll be smacking the mashed potato thieves away with your spoon.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!