100 Favorite Dishes 2015: The Standard with Cheese at The Stand
The Standard is standard, but that doesn't mean it's boring.
This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
71. The Standard with Cheese at The Stand
The Standard at The Stand is a very basic burger — but that doesn't mean it's boring. Inspired by In-N-Out Burger's simple attitude toward burger creation, this Central Phoenix spot serves burgers that focus on good flavor, not fussy toppings. This is the place to go when you just want a well-executed, straightforward burger, one that satisfies your craving for meat and cheese without wasting time or calories on much of anything else.
The Stand's signature burger comes dressed with lettuce, tomato, sliced onion, dill pickles, and Stand Sauce. The patty is made with a freshly ground blend of chuck, brisket, and short rib. It's all served on a hearty white bun. You can order it with or without cheese and you'll probably want a side of the restaurant's hand-cut fries to go along. That's it. It's that simple.
For those who live in the Arcadia neighborhood, The Stand is a go-to alternative to a fast food dinner. The little restaurant has a drive-thru, though it's really more about the convenience of not having to exit your vehicle than speed. I like to round out the meal with one of the hand-spun shakes, the best of which is, hands down, the salted dulce de leche variety.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
78. Falafel Sandwich at Al Hana Restaurant
77. Sheng Jian Bao at DingHao Shanghai
76. Baked Vegetable Pesto at Oven + Vine
75. Pollo Guisado at FrinGo's Kitchen
74. Aloo Paratha at Tahoora Grill
Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry at Cowboy Ciao
72. Otro Cortado Salad at Otro Cafe
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.