Can a Snowbird Get a Medical Marijuana Card?

Keep New Times Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Phoenix and help keep the future of New Times free.

Chitral Hays -- not his real name -- is Jackalope Ranch's resident expert on medical marijuana in Arizona. In Perfectly Blunt, Hays delivers news, reviews, and must-know info. This week he's answering one reader's MMJ question.

I own a second home in AZ. Can a snowbird get a medical marijuana card? Thanks for your help. One more question - will a passport work in lieu of an AZ drivers license? - Dan E.

Hi, Dan. Thanks for your question. The answer is yes. Many out-of-state patients are able to obtain and use medical marijuana in Arizona.

See also: Your Guide to Arizona's Medical Marijuana Farmers Market

First, you will need an Arizona driver's license -- a passport won't suffice. If you have proof of residency, it shouldn't be difficult to obtain. The MVD will issue you a card.

To qualify for a medical marijuana card in Arizona, you need to have been diagnosed with HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C, cachexia, cancer, chronic pain, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, seizures, epilepsy, severe nausea, ALS, Crohn's disease, or Alzheimer's disease. After you've been diagnosed, you'll need a recommendation from a doctor.

Once you have a recommendation, you'll need to apply for Arizona's version of the MMJ card, as only patients with medical marijuana cards issued by the Arizona Department of Health Services can buy weed at dispensaries in this state.

To apply for a card, you'll need your Arizona driver's license, proof of residency, and the doctor's recommendation. For more details on how to do that, see the four-step guide to getting a medical marijuana card in Arizona.

If you are approved, you'll receive your card by mail. Read over the rules and guidelines that come with your card. Even if you have a medical marijuana card from another state, you are subject to Arizona's laws while you're in Arizona. For example, while the legal limit for the amount of cannabis you can carry is 24 ounces in Washington, in Arizona that limit is 2.5 ounces every two weeks.

Take care, Chitral H.

Have a question? Send it to chitral.hays@gmail.com.

Follow Jackalope Ranch on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.

Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.


Join the New Times community and help support independent local journalism in Phoenix.