This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
A seafood lover would have little excuse to not visit Little Cleo's Seafood Legend, the cozy Sam Fox restaurant located at The Yard in Phoenix. With clean, white subway tiles and a handsome bar, this spot transports diners far, far away from the hustle of the Yard's large outdoor patio — making it a perfect oasis for diners seeking something a little more low-key.
I always find it hard to resist the selection of oysters that are displayed in a glass case on the bar. Sourced from all over the globe, these oysters can and should be enjoyed on the half shell. (Preferably during the restaurant's happy hour when you can get them for a buck a piece.)
For dinner, though, you don't want to miss the Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter. The name should serve as a good explanation why this is a great way to start the meal. You get big hunks of sweet king crab meat suspended in a jar full of warm melted butter. Toasted pieces of bread make the perfect vehicle for scooping up the butter-soaked meat, as well as for enjoying any excess butter.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.