This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
These days, there are plenty of dining options in downtown Gilbert. In fact, you can enjoy many of same well-loved spots you'll find in Central Phoenix. But if you're looking for a place that gives you a real sense of this East Valley neighborhood, then you'll want to choose Liberty Market.
Part coffee shop, part restaurant, and part community gathering place, Liberty Market is nearly always bustling with people. In the morning, it might be professional types stopping for a quick breakfast and a coffee, while lunchtime will find you sandwiched between a casual business meeting and family meal. In either case, it's charming.
And since the menu appeals to all the restaurant's many types of customers, it's diverse — including pizzas, salads, sandwiches, and more. A surprise favorite might be the Red Bean and Rice Burger; this vegetarian-friendly dish features a flavorful patty made of red beans and rice that's topped with Monterey Jack cheese — I like to add sliced avocado for a couple extra bucks. A toasted sesame bun makes a suitable base, while shredded lettuce and red onions round out the dish. The accompanying dip trio is also a treat, in particular the spicy aioli that's as good on the burger as it is on a chip.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
Follow Chow Bella on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.