100 Favorite Dishes 2015: The 301 Pizza at Forno 301
This new restaurant has already become a favorite dinner spot.
This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
69. The 301 Pizza at Forno 301
There's no shortage of good pizza places in downtown and central Phoenix. But just when we thought we'd hit maximum capacity, Forno 301 entered the scene. Located on Roosevelt Street at 3rd Avenue, this charming Italian restaurant keeps things simple and fun. Start your meal with a glass of house red or white wine — served in an unpretentious Old Fashioned glass — and then move on to one of the restaurant's wood fired pizzas.
Your meal will likely be served by one of Forno 301's two friendly owners, a duo of Italian gentlemen named Luca Gagliano and Roberto Dadone; their friendly smiles and welcoming attitude make this an instant neighborhood haunt.
When it comes to an entree I suggest the 301 pizza, a simple creation that blends a light and tangy tomato sauce with creamy mozzerella, hunks of sausage, strings of sweet onions, and mushrooms. The crust here is perfectly baked and a little bread-y, but gives way to a crisp center that makes Forno 301's pies stand out from other Neapolitan-style pizzas.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
78. Falafel Sandwich at Al Hana Restaurant
77. Sheng Jian Bao at DingHao Shanghai
76. Baked Vegetable Pesto at Oven + Vine
75. Pollo Guisado at FrinGo's Kitchen
74. Aloo Paratha at Tahoora Grill
73. Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry at Cowboy Ciao
72. Otro Cortado Salad at Otro Cafe
71. The Standard with Cheese at The Stand
70. Kimchee Bokum Bap at Hodori
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.