It doesn't look like the cupcake trend is going to die out anytime soon -- totally fine by us, we LOVE cupcakes.
And Phoenix has plenty of places to grab a sweet little cake ... or twelve. Check out our favorites cupcakes from around town.
10. Red Velvet from Honey Moon Sweets - Husband and wife team Tim & Joan O'Connor may think that red velvet is overrated, but we absolutely love their red velvet cupcakes. The tender cakes have just the right amount of chocolate and the light cream cheese frosting is some of the best in town. And just like everything else they churn out of their Tempe bakery, the cupcakes are always gorgeous.
9. Banana Foster from Barb's Bakery - We haven't had a bad cupcake from Barb's, so we're not afraid to try anything there. But we keep finding ourselves going back to the Bananas Foster. Every bite of this decadent banana cupcake is amazing, from the sweet banana nut cake to the creamy banana frosting to the buttery caramel that sits on top.
8. Signature Chocolate from 21 Cakes - These perfectly prepared cakes may be a bit smaller than other cupcakes, but these suckers pack a huge chocolate punch and are topped with just the right amount of rich vanilla frosting. Chocolate lovers beware -- once you get a taste of 21 Cakes' chocolate cake, you may have a hard time eating anything else
7. Maple Bacon Pancake from TopIt Cupcakes - It's just like breakfast in cupcake form! The dense cake tastes exactly like mom's pancakes, and the creamy maple frosting has just the right amount of sweet maple flavor. Top it all off with crispy bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup, and you have yourself one amazing cupcake.
6. Vegan Mango Cardamom from 24 Carrot - It's hard to make a good vegan cupcake -- trust us, we've tried -- but 24 Carrot gets it right with their Mango Cardamom mini cupcakes. The cardamom complements the sweet mango perfectly in the chewy little cake, and the sugary frosting has a nice consistency and only the faintest hint of soy. Our only problem with these tiny cakes is that they aren't on the menu every day!
5. Boston Cream Pie from Let Them Eat Cake - We always have a hard time deciding which beautiful cupcake we're going to indulge in at this cupcakery, but the Boston Cream Pie usually catches our eye. The super moist cake is filled with perfect pastry cream and topped with a layer of creamy chocolate ganache.
4. Ooey Gooey from Tammie Coe - Rich, dark chocolate cake combined with flawless buttercream frosting? Yes, please. These little devils are always super moist and never too sweet. If you love cupcakes and you have yet to try an Ooey Gooey, we suggest you find a way to get to Tammie Coe right now!
3. Blue Moon from Kreative Kupcakes - Yes. Blue Moon. As in the beer. And they are just as amazing as they sound. This adorable little cupcake shop all the way out west in Avondale has a huge selection of cupcakes and cake pops, but we fell in love with the Blue Moons. The expertly baked cake is bursting with orange and vanilla flavors, and the Blue Moon glaze is the perfect topping.
2. Brown Velvet from Ollie Cakes - Only the best organic and locally sourced ingredients go into OllieCakes, and it really does make a difference. The Brown Velvet cupcake has stolen our heart with its amazingly moist chocolate cake and absolutely perfect not-too-sweet cream cheese frosting.
1. Pink Cadillac from Mind Over Batter - We normally skip the sugary sweet vanilla latte cupcakes and go straight for the underrated Pink Cadillac cupcakes from our favorite south Tempe cupcakery. The pretty pink champagne cake with just a touch of sugary buttercream frosting is one of the best cupcakes we've ever tasted.
All our favorites lists also are available on our Best Of app -- see it in action here.
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.