100 Favorite Dishes 2015: Pistachio Chicken Liver Pate at The Gladly
Pate so smooth, you'll forget you're eating liver.
This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
64. Pistachio Chicken Liver Pate at The Gladly
The Gladly easily could have gotten lost in the shadow of its sister restaurant, Citizen Public House. Instead, the Biltmore-area eatery has risen up and earned its own reputation as a great spot for an after-dinner drink (particularly if you like whiskey), happy hour, or just an excellent dinner with friends. The space feels clean and completely unlike Citizen, with giant windows looking onto Camelback Road and a sleek bar stocked from floor to ceiling with all manner of liquid ingredients.
I love that you can find some of the dishes you already might have come to love at CPH — okay, mostly just the famous Original Chopped Salad. But The Gladly also has introduced a few dishes that have become classics in their own right. Among them is the restaurant's Pistachio Chicken Liver Pate, an appetizer I simply can't skip whenever I stop in.
This pate is smooth like velvet and rich with spices, making it perfect to enjoy both plain or spread over a slice of toasted bread. To kick things up a notch, just make good use of the accompanying accessories; there's whole grain mustard to add heat, capers for a bit of salt, and an abundance of tart pickled onions that taste just as good alone as piled on top of some pate.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
78. Falafel Sandwich at Al Hana Restaurant
77. Sheng Jian Bao at DingHao Shanghai
76. Baked Vegetable Pesto at Oven + Vine
75. Pollo Guisado at FrinGo's Kitchen
74. Aloo Paratha at Tahoora Grill
73. Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry at Cowboy Ciao
72. Otro Cortado Salad at Otro Cafe
71. The Standard with Cheese at The Stand
70. Kimchee Bokum Bap at Hodori
69. The 301 Pizza at Forno 301
68. Green Chile Burrito at Rito's Mexican Food
67. Aloo Tikki Chaat at Little India
66. Oysters Rockefeller at The Salt Cellar Restaurant
65. Bún Thit Nuong at Hue Gourmet
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.