Mother's Day Dining Guide: East Valley
Being a mom is one tough job -- some say it's the toughest job there is -- and Mother's Day is the one day a year most moms truly feel appreciated. It's also the busiest restaurant holiday of the year, so now's not the time to prove mom right about your procrastination habit.
We've got the scoop on some sweet brunches, lunches and dinners offered on Sunday, May 9. Today, we're scoping out the East Valley. Look for more great ideas tomorrow in our guide to Mother's Day dining in Phoenix and on the West Side.
- If you grew up in a large Italian family, you and mom will feel right at home at Jimmy's of Chicago, 3107 S. Gilbert Rd. in Gilbert. Enjoy a three-course meal of appetizer pizza, salad and choice of entree including cavatelli in vodka sauce or Chicken Vesuvio for just $15.99 per person ($9.99 for kids under 12) on Mother's Day from noon-9 p.m. Included is a glass of champagne or free dessert for mom.
- Get a rose for mom and unusual brunch offerings like custom quail egg omelets, Native American-inspired salads and an iced raw bar at Ko'Sin at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass, 5594 W. Wild Horse Pass Blvd. in Chandler. Cost is $70; $63 for seniors and $35 for children 5-12.
- One gourmet chef could wow Mom with a meal, so just imagine how dazzled she'll be with a five-chef meal with cocktails at the Fairmont Princess! For $65 per person ($25 for kids 6-12), choose from dozens of selections including mole poblano and other Mexican specialties from Chef Richard Sandoval at La Hacienda, fish and calamari from The Grill at the TPC Scottsdale's Chef de Cuisine Erik Forrest and healthy, organic cuisine from LV Bistro Chef de Cuisine Manuel Rodriguez.
Is mom a meat lover? Steer her to Bourbon Steak's skirt steak and juicy flat-iron steak station.
Top it all off with Executive Pastry
Chef Dave Blom's amazing morello cherry tarts, lavender streusel, Tahitian vanilla creme brulee spoons and more. Brunch is served from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. and reservations are required. Call 480-585-4848.
- Stunning views aren't the only bonus at Top of the Rock at the Buttes, 2000 Westcourt Way in Tempe. The restaurant is offering a Champagne Brunch Buffet with carving stations of slow-roasted pork, prime rib and roasted turkey, eggs benedict, made-to-order omelets, rack of lamb with Yukon gold potatoes and a dessert bar. There's even a chocolate fountain with fruit and other treats for dipping. This one sells out every year, so book now at 602-431-2367. Cost is $64.95 for adults and $29.95 for children 5-12 (4 and under free).
- Chef Claudio Urciuoli of Prado at the Intercontinental Montelucia Resort, 4949 E. Lincoln Dr. in Paradise Valley, is dishing out huevos rancheros, Wild Blue Prawn Spiedino with Cannellini Beans and Tim's Pork Loin with Meletti Balsamic Vinegar and Chiles for Mother's Day Brunch. Cost is $65 for adults and $25 for kids 6-12. For reservations call 480-627-3004.
- C4 Martini & Wine Bar in Cave Creek is showcasing an eclectic "Mimosa & Moms" ala carte menu from Chef de Cuisine Erin Nells featuring a "Big-Ass Burrito," blackened ahi salad, three-egg omelets and "Silly Salmon" with capers, onion, cream cheese and lemon on a bagel. Cocktails are $7; entree cost varies.
- Chef James Porter of Petite Maison at 7216 E. Shoeman Lane in Scottsdale is pulling out all the stops for Mother's Day with a three-course brunch menu of melon wildberry parfait or smoked salmon, main courses including quiche and Eggs Maison and brioche french toast with Nutella. Dinner includes Prawns Thermidor, chocolate souffle and entrees such as Veal Oscar, Salmon Lyonnaise and Mom's Bouillabaise. Cost is $38 per person for brunch and $55 for dinner. Reservations are required. Call 480-991-6887.
- Cheese blintzes, grilled flat iron steak & eggs and strawberry-rhubarb strudel are just a few of the dishes Chef Gio Osso is whipping up on Mother's Day from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at Estate House, 7134 E. Stetson Dr. in Scottsdale. $49 per person, $15 for kids 12 and under.
- Stuffed curry chicken, baked grouper with pistachio crust and strawberry-mango mousse cake are featured in the Mother's Day Buffet at The Latilla restaurant at The Boulders in Carefree. Sit out by the cascading waterfall and enjoy food from Chefs Michel Pieton and Gregory Wiener. $75 per person, including champagne; $28 for kids 6-12.
- Executive Chef Peter DeRuvo's whipping up a brunch of carved sirloin, salads, halibut and delicious desserts for mom at Sassi, 10455 E. Pinnacle Peak Pkwy. in Scottsdale. Brunch also features a kids' buffet with crispy fish and chicken strips. $50 per person; $25 for kids 12 and under.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Phoenix dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.