10 Favorite Spots for French Toast in Metro Phoenix
French Toast from The Duce
Since we are adults and all, we tend to skip breakfast's sweet friend, French toast. But every once in a while we give in to our sweet tooth and order up the genius combination of eggs, milk, and bread.
And when we do decided to give in to our French toast cravings, we can't resist these ten Valley restaurants take on the sweet breakfast treat.
10. Baked Cinnamon Pecan French Toast, The Duce -- Phoenix's favorite warehouse-turned-watering hole also serves up some pretty good food. Everything is made from scratch in their 1965 Streamline Trailer including their incredibly tasty French Toast. Three slices of thick bread are coated in a light egg mixture and topped with cinnamon and pecans and then baked until the cinnamon and vanilla have turned into a gooey delicious caramelized masterpiece. Don't forget to pair the dish with a fresh squeezed mimosa!
Ignore the greasy bacon, potatoes and eggs -- pay attention to Hollywood Alley's French toast.
9. The Really Big Easy, Hollywood Alley -- Yes we have eaten here, we lived to tell about it and we have been back to this Mesa dive bar for brunch several times for a giant plate of booze-soaked French toast. Thick slices of French bread are soaked in a Grand Marnier and egg mixture, fried to a golden brown, dusted with a generous amount of powered sugar and served with warm maple syrup. And it comes with a fancy mimosa.
8. French French Toast, Scramble -- Quite possibly the only spot that uses actual French baguettes, this little Sunnyslope eatery hand cuts their bread into big, thick slices and then dips each slice into a delightful vanilla custard. After each slices has had its turn on the griddle, they are served with a sweet maple syrup and a creamy pat of butter. And for all you vegans out there, Scramble will whip up a veganized version just for you. They even have Earth Balance!
7. Cinnamon Swirl French Toast, Crackers & Co. -- This south Tempe staple takes thick cut, fresh baked cinnamon swirl bread, dips it in a vanilla custard batter, grills it to a deep golden brown, and finishes the whole thing off with honey butter and powered sugar. It's shockingly fluffy and so good it's hard to order anything else off the menu.
Liberty Market's Grilled Bread Pudding
6. The French Toast Special, Matt's Big Breakfast -- French toast isn't on the menu at Matt's but if you happen to be driving by and see "French Toast" written on the specials board, we suggest you stop and snag this once-in-a-blue moon dish. Made with that same delicious bread that comes with the eggs and omelet dishes, the thick cut sourdough is soaked in eggs, vanilla, and just the right amount of cinnamon. It's really nothing special, but it's unbelievably good! (Please put it on the menu, Matt!)
5. Grilled Bread Pudding, Liberty Market -- You read that right. Liberty Market takes thick slices of their infamous bread pudding and tosses them on the grill till the outside is crispy. The inside stays moist and has an almost custard like texture. It's one of the most unique versions of French toast in the Valley and it's well worth a trip to Gilbert.
4. Banana Foster French Toast, NCounter -- Downtown Tempe doesn't have a whole lot of breakfast options but at least we can count on NCounter to always have a fantastic plate of French toast. The key to this plate of FT is the pan sauteed slices of bread. Crispy on the edges, tender on the inside, and the most perfect shade of golden brown. Oh and it's topped with an amazing caramel sauce and fresh bananas. Yum!
Over Easy's Caramelized banana & pecan brioche French toast
3. Brioche French Toast, Scratch Bakery & Bistro -- It makes sense that a French bistro makes a great plate of French toast but Scratch goes above and beyond with their simple take on the classic breakfast dish. In-house baked brioche is coated in an eggy batter with a touch of cinnamon and vanilla and delicately grilled for the perfect piece of tender toast. A light dusting of powdered sugar, a side of fresh berries, and a little cup of light maple syrup make this dish perfect to the very last bite.
2. Stuffed Cinnamon Swirl French Toast, WyKnot Cafe -- This little Coronado eatery off 7th Street (formerly Perc Up) is a newcomer to the breakfast scene, and a welcome addition especially since they have created this fabulous dish. Cinnamon swirl bread is stuffed with vanilla cream cheese, dipped in a classic egg/vanilla/cinnamon batter, fried to perfection, and then topped with caramelized bananas and walnuts. Delicious!
1. Caramelized banana & pecan brioche French toast, Over Easy -- As seen on the Food Network, this decadent French toast is hands down one of our favorite Chef Aaron May creations. MJ brioche is bathed in eggs, cream, and cinnamon, golden grilled, and then smothered in housemade salted caramel, ripe bananas, and toasted pecans. It's definitely worth the wait!
All our favorites lists also are available on our Best Of app -- see it in action here. And check out our other lists:
Top Ten Spots for Mac 'n' Cheese in the Valley Three Favorite Espresso Shots in Metro Phoenix Ten Favorite Metro Phoenix Farmers' Markets Ten Favorite Metro Phoenix Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Eleven Favorite Favorite Places for Sushi in the Valley Ten Favorite Metro Phoenix Cupcakes Eleven Favorite Barbecue Joints in Greater Phoenix Ten Favorite Metro Phoenix Wine Bars Ten Favorite Phoenix Irish Restaurant & Pubs Six Favorite Specialty Cocktails in Phoenix Ten Favorite Metro Phoenix Craft Beer Bars Ten Favorite Gourmet Pizza Shops in the Valley Five Favorite Japanese Restaurants in Phoenix Ten Favorite Margaritas in Metro Phoenix Ten Favorite Coffee Shops in Phoenix Five Favorite Thai Restaurants in Metro Phoenix Eleven Favorite Ice Cream Shops in Greater Phoenix Ten Favorite Phoenix Happy Hours Five Favorite Sonoran Dogs in the Valley Ten Favorite Hot Dogs in Greater Phoenix Ten Favorite Desserts in Phoenix Ten Favorite First Date Restaurants Ten Favorite Burgers in Greater Phoenix Ten Favorite Downtown Phoenix Restaurants for Late Night Dining Ten Favorite Vegetarian Entrees in Metro Phoenix Ten Favorite Chinese Restaurants in Greater Phoenix
Get the Dining Newsletter
The week's top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips, and a peek at our print review.