This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
76. Baked Vegetable Pesto at Oven + Vine
Looking for comfort in a bowl? Then you might want to try Oven + Vine, the cozy neighborhood restaurant that shares a space with Rollover Doughnuts, formerly Shine Coffee, in midtown Phoenix. The casual eatery comes courtesy of Michelle and Dylan Bethge, who owned Portland's restaurant on Central before it closed in early 2014, so you can bet the people here know a thing or two about good service.
Housed in a renovated 1940s brick building, this place gets big points for inherent charm. But it's the simple, enjoyable food that keeps customers coming back for more — not just the cute outdoor area (complete with corn hole) or sunny dining room. Flatbreads, green chile pork, and pastas all come out of the restaurant's brick oven. And with the oven as the focal point of the restaurant's menu, you can always find rustic, comforting fare at this restaurant. The Baked Vegetable Pesto offers a medley of seasonal vegetables with rigatoni pasta that's cooked in the oven to ensure a nice, melted layer of cheese. Light but also filling and fresh, this dish proves comfort food doesn't have to weigh you down.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
78. Falafel Sandwich at Al Hana Restaurant
77. Sheng Jian Bao at DingHao Shanghai
Keep Phoenix New Times Free... Since we started Phoenix New Times, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Phoenix, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Phoenix with no paywalls.