This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
66. Oysters Rockefeller at The Salt Cellar Restaurant
When it's summertime in Phoenix and all you want to do is escape the sun, there are few restaurants that provide a safer haven than The Salt Cellar Restaurant. Located three flights of stairs below street level, this Scottsdale restaurant is cool and clean and cozy any time of year. It's been open for more than 40 years, earning it the right to be dubbed both a Valley landmark and a staple of the local dining scene.
Many diners come here for a fancy date night to enjoy on fresh Maine lobster and prime steaks, but for a cheap — okay, maybe not cheap, but still affordable — thrill you might want to check out one of the restaurant's two daily happy hours. That's right, two. From both 4 to 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. to midnight you can belly up to The Salt Cellar's bar for shrimp cocktail, steamed mussels, and two different kinds of clam chowder.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
Whatever dishes tickle your fancy, don't skip the oysters Rockefeller. For under $10 you get four large, meaty oysters topped with spinach and pernod sauce and then baked until the toppings bubble when the plate's set in front of you. Let them cool (really, that's key to enjoying the dish) and then dig in to a plate of food that's sure to make you forget you're hundreds of miles from the nearest seashore.
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
78. Falafel Sandwich at Al Hana Restaurant
77. Sheng Jian Bao at DingHao Shanghai
76. Baked Vegetable Pesto at Oven + Vine
75. Pollo Guisado at FrinGo's Kitchen
74. Aloo Paratha at Tahoora Grill
73. Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry at Cowboy Ciao
72. Otro Cortado Salad at Otro Cafe
71. The Standard with Cheese at The Stand
70. Kimchee Bokum Bap at Hodori
69. The 301 Pizza at Forno 301
68. Green Chile Burrito at Rito's Mexican Food
67. Aloo Tikki Chaat at Little India