40 First Date Ideas in Metro Phoenix
Dating doesn't have to be confined to expensive menus and awkward conversation. After all, first dates aren't necessarily about being formal. They're about making (and getting) a good first impression. From the indoors to the outdoors, uptown to downtown, here are 40 ways to make your move.
1. Catch an indie flick at FilmBar.
2. Go for some vintage bowling at Let It Roll Bowl.
4. Take a swing at swing dancing lessons. Every Tuesday night from 7 to 8 p.m., The Duce offers swing dancing lessons for $8 at the door.
5. Spend an evening at Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. Admission's free on Thursday nights.
8. Play up your competitive side at Phoenix's old-school arcades.
9. Explore the thrift and vintage shops along the Melrose Curve.
10. See if you can hit up all of Phoenix's best tourist attractions in a day.
11. Visit the Desert Botanical Garden at the time that best suits your schedule and mood — perhaps a romantic stroll at sunset or an intimate flashlight tour after dark.
12. Try to get lucky, so to speak, at Talking Stick Resort. It may not be the same as a getaway to Las Vegas, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
13. Spend an evening walking through Phoenix Art Museum. It's free on Wednesday nights.
14. Before you start climbing all over each other, spend an afternoon scaling the indoor rock walls of AZ on the Rocks.
15. Enjoy some top-notch lip syncing and comedy at a Phoenix drag show.
17. Head to The Clarendon and take in the view of central Phoenix from the hotel's Sky Deck.
18. Dine, shop, and stroll through the galleries at Old Town Scottsdale's Thursday art walk.
19. Go check out the skyline view at the entrance of South Mountain in your car.
20. Make the evening more colorful at Westworld Paintball Adventures.
21. Test your knowledge of all things pop culture by teaming up battling it out at one of Phoenix's top trivia nights.
22. Lay on your car at Sky Harbor Circle and watch the planes cruise right over you.
23. Get tickets to whatever sport is in season and get to know each other, including what teams you each root for. Or save yourself the cost of stadium seating by watching the game at one of our favorite sports bars.
24. Take a bike tour of the city. You can even map it out ahead of time with this free cycling app.
25. Break away from the mainstream sports action by checking out a roller derby bout featuring teams like the Bad News Beaters and the Tent City Terrors.
Paolo Bona / Shutterstock.com
26. Show off your ice skating skills — or just find an excuse to hold hands — at the Ice Den.
29. Rent paddle boats and have a picnic at Encanto Park.
31. Spend the day at the Phoenix Zoo.
32. Take a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West.
33. Tee off your first date at TopGolf. Think miniature golf for grownups.
34. Throw on your cowboy boots and learn to line dance with free Tuesday night lessons at Cash Inn Country.
35. Spend the day getting to be more than just pals at the Japanese Friendship Garden.
36. Take it easy getting to know each other by lounging by one of Valley's best pools.
37. Share some laughs with improv performances at The Torch Theatre or National Comedy Theatre.
38. Embrace your geeky side at the Arizona Science Center.
40. Break out your inner rock star at the Musical Instrument Museum.
Editor's note: This post has been updated from its original version, which first appeared in August 2014.
5950 N. Echo Canyon Parkway
Paradise Valley, AZ 85253
Get the Arts & Culture Newsletter
Find out about upcoming performances, exhibitions, openings and special events happening in the Phoenix art and theater scene.