This year we're marking the hundred-day countdown to Best of Phoenix 2015 by sharing some of our favorite dishes at restaurants all over the Valley. Have a suggestion for a dish you'd like us to try? Leave it in the comments section or email email@example.com.
65. Bún Thit Nuong at Hue Gourmet
The best way to dine at Hue Gourmet is to bring a group of hungry friends, order a handful of dishes, and try them all together. Well, actually that's a good way to explore just about any restaurant menu, but it's particularly effective here because Hue Gourmet specializes in cuisine of the Vietnamese city of Hue. From 1802 to 1945, the city was the imperial capital of the Nguyen dynasty, and since emperors liked to feast on a whole bunch of dishes, as opposed to just one, dishes were made smaller.
You can and should explore some of the rare Vietnamese dishes offered here by owner Lan Ha. They include options such as a spicy crab soup calledánh bèo, or steamed rice cakes topped with dried shrimp and pork skin. All are exciting and sure to please, assuming you're with a group of adventurous diners.
If you're dining alone or just want to play it safer you might want to try the bún thit nuong. This satisfying meal costs just $6.50 and includes marinated grilled pork topped with peanuts and served over springy vermicelli noodles with a side of shredded lettuce, veggies, and pickles. Simple, straightforward, but always expertly prepared, this dish will please first-time diners as well as experienced Hue Gourmet fans.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
The 100 Favorite Dishes so far...
100. Waffle at Matt's Big Breakfast
99. Pacific White Fish Taco at La Santisima
98. Beef Roll at Taiwan Food Express
97. Zinc Burger at Zinc Bistro
96. Goat Biryani at Khyber Halal
95. Key Lime Doughnut at Welcome Chicken + Donuts
94. Chicharrón Prensado Quesadilla at La Merced
93. Moist Succulent Pork Chop at Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe
92. Deep Fried Squid with Salt and Pepper from Nee House Chinese Cuisine
91. Coconut Raspberry Brownie at Karl's Quality Bakery
90. Fried Chicken at Phoenix Public Market Cafe
89. The Tyler at Cheese 'N Stuff
88. Hurricane Popcorn at Bitter & Twisted Cocktail Parlour
87. Ceviche at El Chullo
86. Date Shake at Couscous Express
85. Red Bean and Rice Burger at Liberty Market
84. Banh Thit Nguoi at Da Vang
83. Breakfast Sandwich at Ollie Vaughn's
82. Crispy Pig Ears at Crudo
81. Parillada at Asadero Norte De Sonora
80. Warm Jar of King Crab and Butter at Little Cleo's Seafood Legend
79. Pumpkin Spice Macaron at Essence Bakery
78. Falafel Sandwich at Al Hana Restaurant
77. Sheng Jian Bao at DingHao Shanghai
76. Baked Vegetable Pesto at Oven + Vine
75. Pollo Guisado at FrinGo's Kitchen
74. Aloo Paratha at Tahoora Grill
73. Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry at Cowboy Ciao
72. Otro Cortado Salad at Otro Cafe
71. The Standard with Cheese at The Stand
70. Kimchee Bokum Bap at Hodori
69. The 301 Pizza at Forno 301
68. Green Chile Burrito at Rito's Mexican Food
67. Aloo Tikki Chaat at Little India
66. Oysters Rockefeller at The Salt Cellar Restaurant
Follow Chow Bella on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.